Body Butter is a skin moisturizer, that is made from natural butters, usually created from extracts taken from nut and seeds. It is thicker than lotions and is extra effective at rejuvenating dry skin. Whether used all over your body or only on problematic areas. Unlike lotions, Body butters are formulated without water, so they often have a thicker texture that becomes solid at room temperature.
Although body butters may seem difficult to use at first, they are easy to apply as a moisturizer after a shower or bath or before bed to make your skin feel silky smooth.
TIP – Check the ingredient label before use. Avoid retinoids, alpha-hydroxy acid, and artificial fragrances, as these can irritate your skin.
Sealing in Moisture
The best way to seal in moisture is to apply body butter right after a shower/bath. A warm shower is your best option for moist skin, as it warms up the body. Hot water can dry out your skin. Take your shower or bath as usual and after you have finished, pat dry your body with a clean towel. Do not dry yourself off completely, leave a little moisture on your skin.
TIP – It is best to apply butter in small amounts.
Choose a spreadable body butter, preferably one that is whipped. Scoop out a dime sized about with your fingers. (To avoid contaminating your jar with bacteria that may be on your hands, you could use a spatula instead). Give it a moment to melt into your palm and then spread the butter on your skin. The natural warmth from your body will soften the body butter so that it smooths on easily.
- Rub the body butter using long firm strokes. Use the palm of your hands for the easiest application, paying close attention to your elbows, knees, ankles, and heels, using firm circular strokes.
- Dab a second layer of body butter onto your problematic areas like your elbows and or feet.
- Be careful not to apply too much, as your body may feel greasy. If you apply too much you can always wipe it off with a towel.
- Stop rubbing the body butter once you have smoothed it out into a thin, even layer.
Body butters take a little more time to soak into your skin than lotion does. Let the body butter dry for a few moments before putting on clothes. Body butter does not usually stain, however it could cause oil stains due to its rich ingredients. In most cases, you can remove the body butter by washing your clothes.
Treating Dry Hands and Feet
For this type of treatment, a thicker body butter is usually the best option as it contains richer ingredients. Choose a blend with Avocado Butter, Mango Butter, or Olive Butter. SUZOTIC offers a luxuriously whipped Mango Body Butter specifically for treating dry skin. If your skin is cracked, ideally your body butter should also contain other thick butters such as Shea and Cocoa Butters.
TIP – Body butters are particularly valuable in dry winter weather to provide a protective barrier against the elements.
- Just before bed, start out with a small pea-sized amount (more as needed) and apply it to your feet. Wait a few minutes before putting on socks. The socks will seal in the moisture, as well as keeping the butter on your feet.
- If you apply socks over your feet while the butter is still wet, this will provide a more intense treatment. I prefer using Therapeutic moisturizing socks that are specifically made to lock in moisture. You can find these at any store, pharmacy and even online.
Hand treatments are similar to foot treatments with the exception that you are going to focus more on special dry areas such as your knuckles. You can apply body butter to your hands and wait for it to dry or if you prefer, you can apply gloves over the wet body butter. You can use normal mittens, but microfiber gloves made for sealing in moisture into your hands work best.
- Just before bed, start out with a small pea-sized amount (more as needed) and lightly massage it into your hands. Wait a few minutes before putting on your gloves the gloves will seal in the moisture, as well as keeping the butter on your hands.
- If you apply a moisturizing glove over your hands while the butter is still wet, this will provide a more intense treatment. You can find these gloves at any store, pharmacy and even online.
Remove your gloves and socks in the morning. Your skin should feel soft and smooth. Wash any remaining body butter from your skin. Be sure to wash your socks and gloves before their next use.