Body butter is the crème de la crème of natural body products. Lotions are created by combining oils and water with an emulsifier. Body butters are made with 100% organic and/or refined butters, which are beneficial for not just dry skin, but all skin types. The texture of lotion will depend on the proportions of each ingredient and the type of emulsifier oils. Additional ingredients such as glycerin, thickeners, fragrance, and color are also added.
We whip our butters with natural skin healing ingredients that will help heal, soften, and replenish dry skin types in need of a serious oil infusion.
Here at Suzotic, we use 3 base body butters
- Cocoa butter has a high amount of fatty acids. This ingredient provides deep hydration and nourishing fat to help improve skin elasticity as well as providing a protective barrier on top of your skin to seal in moisture.
- Our classic Shea Butter is also concentrated with fatty acids that work to soften and heal parched skin. Shea is packed full of vitamins and has skin healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mango butter is effective in preventing inflammation and itching caused by dry skin. Mango butter also contains Vitamin C which is beneficial for your skin in many ways.
Conventional body-care products can be overloaded with harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, or parabens, preservatives, micro-beads, and other synthetic ingredients.
Before you reach for that pretty looking bottle of lotion on your shelf, know that what’s inside may not be as innocent as it looks. Watch for these 6 toxic ingredients when shopping for body lotions.
6 Harmful ingredients that are found in Body Lotion include:
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA)
- Is a food preservative and stabilizer that routinely shows up in body lotions, as well as everything from lipstick to yeast infection treatments.
- DMDH Hydantoin
- This is a type of formaldehyde-releasing preservative. It is an irritant for eyes and skin, and while there is no evidence that DMDH itself is a carcinogen, formaldehyde definitely is.
- Fragrance + Parfumes
- Although your lotion may smell like strawberries and cream, the scent is not natural.
- When you see this on a label it means that your product contains a toxic mix of chemicals that the manufacturer does not want to tell you.
- Parabens are found in all popular commercial body lotions. They prevent bacteria and fungus from growing in the bottle. Not confirmed, but it is said that Parabens are linked to hormone disruption and breast cancer.
- Retinyl Palmitate
- This is the most controversial form of vitamin A. You see this in some sunscreens, as well as lotions and creams advertised to have anti-aging properties.
- A studypublished by the National Toxicology Program found that mice exposed to retinyl palmitate developed a frightening number of tumors after exposure to sunlight.
- A highly alkaline substance that is used to balance the pH in various body lotions and cosmetics (especially mascara ladies !! )
- Despite its widespread use, it is considered moderately dangerous and should never be used long term.
IT’S ALL ABOUT LOVING THE SKIN YOU ARE IN !
Whether you are using a body butter or body lotion, make sure you are putting on the healthiest body care you can find, and read those ingredient labels ! Never compromise health for beauty, and always choose a natural body butter or body lotion that is free from parabens, phthalates, artificial fragrances, synthetic chemicals, silicones, and toxic preservatives. You have only got one body and here at Suzotic, it is all about loving the skin you are in, so take the best care of it that you can!